Clay Robbins, III, Associate
Clay Robbins, III Cases of Note
Clay Robbins’ practice focuses on personal injury and civil litigation, including aviation litigation; wrongful discharge; premises liability; governmental tort liability; wiretap/invasion of privacy; trademark infringement; corporate and business litigation and unfair competition; public utility liability; products liability; and civil rights. Mr. Robbins’ expertise also includes insurance coverage disputes and analysis, and insurance bad faith cases. Mr. Robbins successfully represented the plaintiffs in an aviation insurance bad faith action resulting in recovery of over $9 million in compensatory and punitive damages. Mr. Robbins’ has been an associate with the firm since 1997, and became a partner in 2006. He has attained a rating of A.V. (highest possible rating for preeminent legal ability and ethics) from Martindale Hubbell, the national directory of attorneys.
- B.A., Psychology, University of California at Los Angeles, Dean’s List, 1978
- J.D., Loyola University of Los Angeles, 1981
- State Bar of California, 1981
- United States District Court Central, 1982
- United States District Court Northern, 1993
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1983
- United States Supreme Court, 1988
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Loyola Law School Alumni
- Member of the Ninth Circuit Historical Society
- Supreme Court Historical Society
- Large International Management Company: Handled litigation on behalf of hotel through oral argument in 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in a complex case involving First Amendment rights.
- Governmental Entities: Successfully represented governmental entities and employees on appeal in several cases involving claims of deprivation of civil rights and excessive force.
- Large Aerospace Company: Represented management in wrongful discharge litigation through appellate system in California to petition for writ of certiorari in U.S. Supreme Court.
- Public Utility: Successfully represented interest of public utility in complex, consolidated litigation involving bodily injury, property damage and business interruption claims arising from a catastrophic explosion at an electric generating plant. Claims exceeded $500 million.
- Large Casualty Insurance Company: Coverage counsel for insurance company pertaining to Southern California claims.
- Large Aviation Insurance Company: Coverage counsel for insurance company pertaining to Southern California claims.
- Large International Restaurant Chain: Successfully represented interests on appeal of nationally known restaurant in claims arising from gunshot injury during a robbery.
- Insurance Bad Faith: Successfully represented interests of insureds in an aviation insurance bad faith action resulting in recovery of over $9 million in compensatory and punitive damages for the insureds.